- 28 Jun 2021
Kernel Terms of Service for Authorized Customer Users
- Updated on 28 Jun 2021
Effective Date: June 25, 2021
These Terms of Service (these “Terms of Service”) form a binding contract between you (“AUTHORIZED CUSTOMER USER, “you” or “your”) and HI, LLC, d/b/a Kernel (together with its subsidiaries, agents, employees, successors and assigns, “KERNEL,” “we,” “us”).
PLEASE CAREFULLY READ THESE TERMS OF SERVICE. THEY CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS. BY ACCESSING OR USING THE KERNEL TECHNOLOGY OR THE KERNEL DATA, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THESE TERMS OF SERVICE AND YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND HEREBY.
- “Customer” means the institution or other entity through which you are accessing or using the Kernel Technology.
- “Data Subject” means any individual who has authorized that their data be collected through the Kernel Technology;
- “Kernel Data” means the data collected through the Kernel Technology, including through any products provided by Kernel, through use of KERNEL’s proprietary platform referred to as the Kernel Cloud, or through Kernel-designed studies or tasks disseminated through the Kernel Technology, and any data which a Data Subject links to such Data Subject’s Account (as defined below); and
- “Kernel Technology” means, collectively all Kernel-issued products and KERNEL’s: mobile application(s); website interface(s); proprietary platform referred to as the Kernel Cloud; user operating manual for the Kernel Cloud, the Kernel-issued products and/or Software and any modifications to such documentation KERNEL may deliver to you from time to time; and proprietary software solution that facilitates the collection, storage and analysis of Kernel Data from Kernel products and any KERNEL updates thereto.
2. Additional Terms
3. Term Modification
- These Terms of Service will remain in force for as long as you use and/or access the Kernel Technology and Sections 6, 7 and 8 below will remain in force after the termination or of these Terms of Service. We may, in our sole discretion, suspend or terminate your Account (defined below) or your right to use the Kernel Technology at any time and without any notice to you if you violate any of these Terms of Service or you or Customer violate any terms of the Underlying Agreement. We may revise these Terms of Service from time to time in our sole discretion. If we do, we will post a revised version on www.kernel.com and/or provide you notice of material changes as required by law. Your continued use of the Kernel Technology after the effective date of such revised Terms of Service means that you accept and agree to the changes.
4. Kernel Account
5. Intellectual Property
- As between us, the Kernel Technology and the Kernel Content (as defined below) and all associated intellectual property rights are, and will remain, the property of KERNEL. Except as expressly stated in these Terms of Service, you are not granted any intellectual property rights in or to the Kernel Technology. Kernel Content includes any photos, images, graphics, video, audio, data, text, software, works of authorship of any kind, and other information, content, or other materials that are posted, generated by, provided, or otherwise made available through the Services.
a) License Grant
KERNEL grants you a personal, revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right to use the Kernel Technology and that portion of the Kernel Data which a Data Subject elects to make available to you through the Kernel Technology: (a) in accordance with these Terms of Service, KERNEL’s Acceptable Use Policy, and the Customer’s obligations under the Underlying Agreement; and (b) until you are no longer authorized to access the Kernel Technology on behalf of Customer or in the case of the Kernel Data, for such period during which a valid consent is in force between the relevant Data Subject and the Customer permitting such use of such Kernel Data by the Customer and you. You and Customer (not KERNEL) are responsible for ensuring that your use of the Kernel Technology and Kernel Data is within the scope of your authority on behalf of Customer and a valid Data Subject consent, as applicable. Without limiting the foregoing, you shall not decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, or decrypt the Kernel Technology, for any purpose; or modify, adapt, improve, or create any derivative work from the Kernel Technology.
6. Use Restrictions
- You shall not violate any applicable laws, rules, or regulations in connection with your use of the Kernel Technology or the Kernel Data; export, or re-export the Kernel Technology or any portion thereof in violation of U.S. law or any other applicable export control laws or regulations; use the Kernel Technology to collect data from minors under the age of 16 (or, as applicable, under the age of majority for consent in the Data Subject’s jurisdiction), use the Kernel Technology for any other purpose not permitted by KERNEL hereunder, under the Underlying Agreement or under KERNEL’s Acceptable Use Policy; circumvent, disable, or tamper with any security-related components or protective measures applicable to the Kernel Technology or remove, alter or obscure any KERNEL proprietary notice; and/or refuse to accept or implement required updates or patches to the Kernel Technology.
- You agree to abide by the rules and policies established from time to time by KERNEL, including, for example, KERNEL’s Acceptable Use Policy (as the same may be updated by us from time to time).
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, YOUR USE OF KERNEL TECHNOLOGY IS INTENDED FOR INFORMATIONAL AND/OR INVESTIGATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN CONNECTION WITH THE DIAGNOSIS, PREVENTION, TREATMENT, OR CURE OF ANY MEDICAL CONDITION. KERNEL DOES NOT ENDORSE ANY SUCH USAGE AND DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO ANY SUCH USAGE.
As noted above, you are subject to Customer’s confidentiality obligations under the Underlying Agreement. Without limiting the foregoing, you acknowledge and agree that you will not (i) use any confidential or proprietary information of KERNEL for any purpose other than those permitted under the Underlying Agreement, or (ii) disclose such information to any third parties.
8. Your Representations
By using the Kernel Technology, you represent that: (a) you are authorized to access and use the Kernel Technology and the Kernel Data on behalf of Customer; and (b) your use of the Kernel Data complies with all applicable law and the Underlying Agreement, KERNEL’s Acceptable Use Policy, and, if applicable, is also permitted by a valid consent that remains in force between the relevant Data Subject and the Customer permitting such use of the Kernel Data by you and the Customer.
In your discretion, you may provide KERNEL suggestions or other feedback, including for product or service offerings or improvements or new features (“Feedback”). You grant KERNEL a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, transferrable license to use Feedback and ideas generated therefrom without any restrictions, attribution, or compensation to you.